Subject: Re: [patch net-next 2/3] net: devlink: call lockdep_assert_held() for devlink->lock directly

From: Jiri Pirko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2022 10:04:32 +0200

Tue, Jul 05, 2022 at 04:58:39AM CEST, [email-masked] wrote:
>On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 08:19:17 +0200 Jiri Pirko wrote:
>> Jakub, I don't really care. If you say we should do it differently, I
>> will do it differently. I just want the use to be consistent. From the
>> earlier reactions of DaveM on such helpers, I got an impression we don't
>> want them if possible. If this is no longer true, I'm fine with it. Just
>> tell me what I should do.
>
>As I said - my understanding is that we want to discourage (driver)
>authors from wrapping locks in lock/unlock helpers. Which was very
>fashionable at some point (IDK why, but it seem to have mostly gone
>away?).
>
>If the helper already exists I think consistency wins and we should use
>it.

Okay, will send a patch to convert devlink.c to use these helpers.
Thanks!