Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 0/6] net: dsa: always use phylink

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 09:53:23 +0100

On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 04:13:45PM +0300, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 12:43:00PM +0100, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> > In the first RFC series I sent on the 24 June, I explicitly asked the
> > following questions:
> (...)
> > I even stated: "Please look at the patches and make suggestions on how
> > we can proceed to clean up this quirk of DSA." and made no mention of
> > wanting something explicitly from Andrew.
> > 
> > Yet, none of those questions were answered.
> > 
> > So no, Jakub's comments are *not* misdirected at all. Go back and read
> > my June 24th RFC series yourself:
> > 
> > https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/
> 
> I don't believe I need to justify myself any further for why I didn't
> leave a comment on any certain day. I left my comments when I believed
> it was most appropriate for me to intervene (as someone who isn't really
> affected in any way by the changes, except for generally maintaining
> what's in net/dsa/, and wanting to keep a clean framework structure).
> Also, to repeat myself, blaming me for leaving comments, but doing so
> late, is not really fair. I could have not responded at all, and I
> wouldn't be having this unpleasant discussion. It begs the question
> whether you're willing to be held accountable in the same way for the
> dates on which you respond on RFC patches.
> 
> > I've *tried* my best to be kind and collaborative, but I've been
> > ignored. Now I'm hacked off. This could have been avoided by responding
> > to my explicit questions sooner, rather than at the -rc6/-rc7 stage of
> > the show.
> 
> I think you should continue to try your best to be kind and collaborative,
> you weren't provoked or intentionally ignored in any way, and it isn't
> doing these patches any good.

And yet again, I don't have answers to many of those questions... which
just shows how broken this process is, and how utterly pointless it is
0to ask any questions in this area.

My conclusion: you don't care one bit to even answer questions until
there's a chance that patches that you disagree with might be merged,
and oh my god, you've got to respond to stop that happening because you
might disagree with something. You can't do the collaborative thing and
respond when someone asks explicit questions about how things should be
done.

I'm not going to let this go. I'm really pissed off by this and you
are the focus of my frustration.

Well, its now too late to do anything about this. This is going to miss
this cycle. It might get in next cycle, and whoopy do, for a kernel
that's very likely to be a LTS. Given the lack of testing that sounds
like a complete and utter disaster. One that was entirely avoidable had
feedback been given EARLIER in this cycle.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!