Subject: Re: [RFC] r8152: pass through needs to be singular

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 15:31:32 +0200

> True. Nevertheless, do we really want to say that we dislike a design
> so much that we are not fixing bugs?

I'm not sure we can fix it. Part of that long thread about why this
whole concept is broken is that we have no idea which interface is the
one which should give the MAC address to. If we change it to only give
out the MAC address once, all we really do is change it from one bug
to another bug.

> > What exactly is your problem which you are trying to fix? 
> Adressing the comment Hayes made when reset_resume() was fixed
> from a deadlock, that it still assigns wrong MACs. I feel that
> before I fix keeping the correct address I better make sure the
> MAC is sane in the first place.

I would say that reset_resume() should restore whatever the MAC
address was before the suspend. It does not matter if the MAC address
is not unique. As far as i know, the kernel never prevents the user
assigning the same MAC address on multiple interfaces via ip link set.
So it could actually be a user choice.

   Andrew