Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/8] net: ethernet: ti: am65-cpsw: Add support for SERDES configuration

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 16:37:48 +0100

On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 03:20:47PM +0530, Siddharth Vadapalli wrote:
> @@ -1427,6 +1471,9 @@ static void am65_cpsw_nuss_mac_link_down(struct phylink_config *config, unsigned
>  	struct net_device *ndev = port->ndev;
>  	int tmo;
>  
> +	/* disable phy */
> +	am65_cpsw_disable_phy(port->slave.ifphy);
> +

This seems really strange. If you have a serdes interface which
presumably supports SGMII, 1000base-X etc, then link status is sent
across the serdes interface. If you power down the serdes, then you
can't receive the link status, and so mac_link_up() won't be called.

Are you really sure you want to be enabling and disabling the PHY
in mac_link_down()/mac_link_up() ?

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!