Subject: Re: [RFC v1 net-next 8/8] net: dsa: ocelot: add external ocelot switch control

From: Colin Foster <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 16:10:36 -0700

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 10:31:47PM +0000, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 09:55:55AM -0700, Colin Foster wrote:
> Yes, please use as much as possible from the ocelot switch library,
> after all you are driving pretty much the same hardware. I'm glad for
> your revelation and sorry that I didn't think of expressing it this way
> sooner. I think the reset procedure used to be slightly different in the
> times when the ocelot_ext DSA driver also took care of setting up what
> is now the responsibility of the ocelot-mfd driver.

That's exactly right. Early on ocelot_ext was doing all sorts of things
that are now the control of ocelot-mfd and the various subsystems. These
couple procedures seem to be the last relics of those early days.

As I cleaned this up, I realized ocelot_ext_reset_phys() is no longer
needed, as it is handled in the MDIO driver. It looks like there won't
be much to remove when this is all said and done :-)

> Between then and
> now, some time has passed (years if I'm not mistaken)

Thanks for reminding me. If I knew then what I know now... maybe I'd ask
the hardware person to spec a different chip ;-)

I'm joking of course, and looking forward to being able to use this
thing!