Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/2] Fix console probe delay when stdout-path isn't set

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 10:45:06 +0200

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 08:44:27PM -0700, Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 8:37 AM Greg Kroah-Hartman
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 06:26:38PM -0700, Saravana Kannan wrote:
> > > These patches are on top of driver-core-next.
> > >
> > > Even if stdout-path isn't set in DT, this patch should take console
> > > probe times back to how they were before the deferred_probe_timeout
> > > clean up series[1].
> >
> > Now dropped from my queue due to lack of a response to other reviewer's
> > questions.
> 
> What happened to this patch? I have a 10 second timeout on console
> probe on my SiFive Unmatched, and I don't see this flag being set for
> the serial driver. In fact, I don't see it anywhere in-tree. I can't
> seem to locate another patchset from Saravana around this though, so
> I'm not sure where to look for a missing piece for the sifive serial
> driver.
> 
> This is the second boot time regression (this one not fatal, unlike
> the Layerscape PCIe one) from the fw_devlink patchset.
> 
> Greg, can you revert the whole set for 6.0, please? It's obviously
> nowhere near tested enough to go in and I expect we'll see a bunch of
> -stable fixups due to this if we let it remain in.

What exactly is "the whole set"?  I have the default option fix queued
up and will send that to Linus later this week (am traveling back from
Plumbers still), but have not heard any problems about any other issues
at all other than your report.

thnaks,

greg k-h