Subject: [PATCH net-next 0/3] net: stmmac: fix setting RE and TE inappropriately

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2025 10:34:52 +0100

Hi,

This series addresses inappropriate setting of the receive and transmit
enables in the GMAC control register identified back in
https://lore.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]

The databook is clear for the receive enable, that this should not be
set until the initialisation of the MAC and DMA has been completed.
The previous RFC patch series ("net: stmmac: fix resume failures due to
RX clock") which moves phylink_resume() solves that, but we are left
with these enables being set when the link is down. This is not correct.

Sadly, when XDP support was added, new calls to netif_carrier_on() and
netif_carrier_off() were added, which are incorrect in drivers that
make use of phylink - by doing so, the driver has no guarantee that
the .mac_link_up() and .mac_link_down() methods will be called in
sequence anymore. This is fixed in patch 1.

We remove manipulation of the RE and TE bits from the start_tx(),
stop_tx(), start_rx() and stop_rx() methods for each core.

Finally, we remove the stmmac_mac_set() call from stmmac_hw_setup().

 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac4_lib.c   |  8 --------
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwxgmac2_dma.c | 12 ------------
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_main.c  | 17 ++++++-----------
 3 files changed, 6 insertions(+), 31 deletions(-)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!