Subject: [PATCH net-next 0/4] net: phylib EEE cleanups

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2024 10:41:42 +0000

Hi,

Clean up phylib's EEE support. Patches previously posted as RFC as part
of the phylink EEE series.

Patch 1 changes the Marvell driver to use the state we store in
struct phy_device, rather than manually calling
phydev->eee_cfg.eee_enabled.

Patch 2 avoids genphy_c45_ethtool_get_eee() setting ->eee_enabled, as
we copy that from phydev->eee_cfg.eee_enabled later, and after patch 3
mo one uses this after calling genphy_c45_ethtool_get_eee(). In fact,
the only caller of this function now is phy_ethtool_get_eee().

As all callers to genphy_c45_eee_is_active() now pass NULL as its
is_enabled flag, this is no longer useful. Remove the argument in
patch 3.

Patch 4 updates the phylib documentation to make it absolutely clear
that phy_ethtool_get_eee() now fills in all members of struct
ethtool_keee, which is why we now have so many buggy network drivers.

 drivers/net/phy/marvell.c |  4 +---
 drivers/net/phy/phy-c45.c | 14 ++++----------
 drivers/net/phy/phy.c     |  9 ++++-----
 include/linux/phy.h       |  2 +-

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!