Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 00/10] net: add phylink managed EEE support

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2024 12:07:04 +0000

On Mon, Dec 09, 2024 at 02:22:31PM +0000, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> Patch 5 adds phylink managed EEE support. Two new MAC APIs are added,
> to enable and disable LPI. The enable method is passed the LPI timer
> setting which it is expected to program into the hardware, and also a
> flag ehther the transmit clock should be stopped.
> 
>  *** There are open questions here. Eagle eyed reviewers will notice
>    pl->config->lpi_interfaces. There are MACs out there which only
>    support LPI signalling on a subset of their interface types. Phylib
>    doesn't understand this. I'm handling this at the moment by simply
>    not activating LPI at the MAC, but that leads to ethtool --show-eee
>    suggesting that EEE is active when it isn't.
>  *** Should we pass the phy_interface_t to these functions?
>  *** Should mac_enable_tx_lpi() be allowed to fail if the MAC doesn't
>    support the interface mode?
> 
> The above questions remain unanswered from the RFC posting of this
> series.

Given the open questions that still remain and the lack of engagement,
I don't think we're at the point of being able to apply this patch set
(I don't want to rework the method functions in lots of drivers.) So,
I suggest we put this on the back burner until there's a clear way
forward.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!