Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v1 7/7] net: usb: lan78xx: Enable EEE support with phylink integration

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2025 12:47:37 +0000

On Wed, Jan 08, 2025 at 01:13:41PM +0100, Oleksij Rempel wrote:
> Refactor Energy-Efficient Ethernet (EEE) support in the LAN78xx driver
> to integrate with phylink. This includes the following changes:
> 
> - Use phylink_ethtool_get_eee and phylink_ethtool_set_eee to manage
>   EEE settings, aligning with the phylink API.
> - Add a new tx_lpi_timer variable to manage the TX LPI (Low Power Idle)
>   request delay. Default it to 50 microseconds based on LAN7800 documentation
>   recommendations.

phylib maintains tx_lpi_timer for you. Please use that instead.

In any case, I've been submitting phylink EEE support which will help
driver authors get this correct, but I think it needs more feedback.
Please can you look at my patch set previously posted which is now
a bit out of date, review, and think about how this driver can make
use of it.

In particular, I'd like ideas on what phylink should be doing with
tx_lpi_timer values that are out of range of the hardware. Should it
limit the value itself? Should set_eee() error out? I asked these
questions in the cover message but I don't think *anyone* reads
cover messages anymore - as evidenced by my recent patch series that
made reference to "make it sew" and Singer sewing machines. No one
noticed. So I think patch series cover messages are now useless on
netdev.

Thanks.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!