Subject: [PATCH RFC net-next 00/10] net: add phylink managed EEE support

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2025 13:58:57 +0000

Hi,

Adding managed EEE support to phylink has been on the cards ever since
the idea in phylib was mooted. This overly large series attempts to do
so. I've included all the patches as it's important to get the driver
patches out there.

Patch 1 adds a definition for the clock stop capable bit in the PCS
MMD status register.

Patch 2 adds a phylib API to query whether the PHY allows the transmit
xMII clock to be stopped while in LPI mode. This capability is for MAC
drivers to save power when LPI is active, to allow them to stop their
transmit clock.

Patch 3 extracts a phylink internal helper for determining whether the
link is up.

Patch 4 adds basic phylink managed EEE support. Two new MAC APIs are
added, to enable and disable LPI. The enable method is passed the LPI
timer setting which it is expected to program into the hardware, and
also a flag ehther the transmit clock should be stopped.

I have taken the decision to make enable_tx_lpi() to return an error
code, but not do much with it other than report it - the intention
being that we can later use it to extend functionality if needed
without reworking loads of drivers.

I have also dropped the validation/limitation of the LPI timer, and
left that in the driver code prior to calling phylink_ethtool_set_eee().

The remainder of the patches convert mvneta, lan743x and stmmac, add
support for mvneta, and add the basics that will be necessary into the
DSA code for DSA drivers to make use of this.

I would like to get patches 1 through 9 into net-next before the
merge window, but we're running out of time for that.

 drivers/net/ethernet/marvell/mvneta.c             | 107 +++++++++-------
 drivers/net/ethernet/marvell/mvpp2/mvpp2.h        |   5 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/marvell/mvpp2/mvpp2_main.c   |  86 +++++++++++++
 drivers/net/ethernet/microchip/lan743x_ethtool.c  |  21 ----
 drivers/net/ethernet/microchip/lan743x_main.c     |  46 +++++--
 drivers/net/ethernet/microchip/lan743x_main.h     |   1 -
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_main.c |  57 +++++++--
 drivers/net/phy/phy.c                             |  20 +++
 drivers/net/phy/phylink.c                         | 144 ++++++++++++++++++++--
 include/linux/phy.h                               |   1 +
 include/linux/phylink.h                           |  45 +++++++
 include/uapi/linux/mdio.h                         |   1 +
 net/dsa/user.c                                    |  25 ++--
 13 files changed, 458 insertions(+), 101 deletions(-)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!