Subject: Re: [PATCH net v3 1/3] net: stmmac: Limit the number of MTL queues to hardware capability

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2025 11:43:55 +0000

On Fri, Jan 24, 2025 at 07:13:57PM +0900, Kunihiko Hayashi wrote:
> The number of MTL queues to use is specified by the parameter
> "snps,{tx,rx}-queues-to-use" from stmmac_platform layer.
> 
> However, the maximum numbers of queues are constrained by upper limits
> determined by the capability of each hardware feature. It's appropriate
> to limit the values not to exceed the upper limit values and display
> a warning message.
> 
> This only works if the hardware capability has the upper limit values.
> 
> Fixes: d976a525c371 ("net: stmmac: multiple queues dt configuration")
> Signed-off-by: Kunihiko Hayashi <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_main.c | 15 +++++++++++++++
>  1 file changed, 15 insertions(+)
> 
> diff --git a/drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_main.c b/drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_main.c
> index 7bf275f127c9..be1e6fa6d557 100644
> --- a/drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_main.c
> +++ b/drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_main.c
> @@ -7232,6 +7232,21 @@ static int stmmac_hw_init(struct stmmac_priv *priv)
>  	if (priv->dma_cap.tsoen)
>  		dev_info(priv->device, "TSO supported\n");
>  
> +	if (priv->dma_cap.number_rx_queues &&
> +	    priv->dma_cap.number_rx_queues < priv->plat->rx_queues_to_use) {

While this looks "nicer", which of these two do you think reads better
and is easier to understand:

"If priv->dma_cap.number_rx_queues is set, and
 priv->dma_cap.number_rx_queues is less than
 priv->plat->rx_queues_to_use then print a message about
 priv->plat->rx_queues_to_use exceeding priv->dma_cap.number_rx_queues"

"If priv->dma_cap.number_rx_queues is set, and
 priv->plat->rx_queues_to_use is greater than
 priv->dma_cap.number_rx_queues, then print a message about
 priv->plat->rx_queues_to_use exceeding priv->dma_cap.number_rx_queues"

With the former one has to mentally flip the test around in the if
statement to check that it does indeed match the warning that is
printed.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!