Subject: [PATCH RFC net-next 0/7] Another attempt at moving mv88e6xxx forward

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 11:59:36 +0000

Hi,

This is another attempt to move the mv88e6xxx driver forward so that we
can eventually switch it to use phylink_pcs and become a non-legacy
driver.

The issue is that in order to switch to phylink_pcs, we need DSA and CPU
ports to be known to phylink, otherwise the PCS code will not be called.
In order for such ports to be known to phylink, we need to provide
phylink with a configuration, and mv88e6xxx has a history of not
specifying the configuration in firmware, but the driver internally
handling that. This is fine, but it means we can't use phylink for such
ports - and thus converting them to phylink_pcs can cause regressions.

Therefore, this series provides a way for a software-node configuration
to be provided to DSA by the driver, which will then be used only for
phylink to parse.

Some of this patch set comes from an idea from Vladimir, but
re-implemented in a substantially different way.

 drivers/base/swnode.c            |  14 +++-
 drivers/net/dsa/mv88e6xxx/chip.c | 157 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------
 drivers/net/phy/phylink.c        |  32 ++++++++
 include/linux/phylink.h          |   1 +
 include/linux/property.h         |   4 +
 include/net/dsa.h                |   3 +
 net/dsa/port.c                   |  33 ++++++--
 7 files changed, 191 insertions(+), 53 deletions(-)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!