Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 00/30] net: dsa: mt7530: improve, trap BPDU & LLDP, and prefer CPU port

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 19:13:31 +0100

On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 04:09:17PM +0200, Horatiu Vultur wrote:
> The 05/22/2023 15:15, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> > 
> > Hello!
> > 
> > This patch series simplifies the code, improves the logic of the switch
> > hardware support, traps LLDP frames and BPDUs for MT7530, MT7531, and
> > MT7988 SoC switches, and introduces the preferring local CPU port
> > operation.
> > 
> > There's also a patch for fixing the port capabilities of the switch on the
> > MT7988 SoC.
> > 
> 
> I have noticed that in many patches of the series you have:
> Tested-by: Arınç ÜNAL <[email-masked]>
> 
> Where you also have:
> Signed-off-by: Arınç ÜNAL <[email-masked]>
> 
> I think you can drop Tested-by as the SoB will imply that. I think you
> got a similar comment some time ago to a different patch series.

Signed-off-by in no way implies a tested-by. Signed-off-by has a very
distinct definition that is in submitting-patches.rst.

Clearly, if one is working on infrastructure where there are numerous
drivers involved, one probably doesn't have all the hardware, and one
may have to send patches that have only been build tested, but never
tested against real hardware.

While we may attempt to elicit testing, most of the time this seems
to be a waste of time and effort - or at least that's my experience.
Even if you Cc people who have recently been active with hardware,
that is no guarantee that there will be any reaction.

That has got to the point now where I just don't bother trying to
elicit help from others to test driver changes. If people want to
test, they need to do so when they see a patch on the mailing list,
preferably before it gets applied. If not, and if it breaks something,
then we'll have to generate a patch to fix the breakage.

So no, please stop thinking that SoB implies that the patch has been
tested.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!