Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 0/8] complete Lynx mdio device handling

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 12:09:27 +0100

Hi,

It looks like patchwork didn't like this submission, which is no
different from any of my previous submissions:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/netdevbpf/list/?series=753590

It seems to have no patches associated with the series, yet it does
know that there are patches associated with the series:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/netdevbpf/cover/ZHoOe9K/[email-masked]/
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/netdevbpf/patch/[email-masked]/
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/netdevbpf/patch/[email-masked]/
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/netdevbpf/patch/[email-masked]/
... etc ...

each of which link back to the series. So there are back-links to the
series but no forward-links. Sounds like a bug in patchwork :(

Any ideas what went wrong with patchwork, and whether this is just a
one-off due to timings of emails hitting patchwork, or something more
fundamental?

On Fri, Jun 02, 2023 at 04:44:59PM +0100, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> This series completes the mdio device lifetime handling for Lynx PCS
> users which do not create their own mdio device, but instead fetch
> it using a firmware description - namely the DPAA2 and FMAN_MEMAC
> drivers.
> 
> In a previous patch set, lynx_pcs_create() was modified to increase
> the mdio device refcount, and lynx_pcs_destroy() to drop that
> refcount.
> 
> The first two patches change these two drivers to put the reference
> which they hold immediately after lynx_pcs_create(), effectively
> handing the responsibility for maintaining the refcount to the Lynx
> PCS driver.
> 
> A side effect of the first two patches is that lynx_get_mdio_device()
> is no longer used, so patch 3 removes it.
> 
> Patch 4 adds a new helper - lynx_pcs_create_fwnode(), which creates
> a Lynx PCS instance from the fwnode.
> 
> Patch 5 and 6 convert the two drivers to make use of this new helper,
> which simply has to find the mdio device, and then create the Lynx
> PCS from that.
> 
> With those conversions done, lynx_pcs_create() is no longer required
> outside pcs-lynx.c, so remove it from public view.
> 
> Finally, in patch 8 we change lynx_pcs_create() to return an
> error-pointer rather than NULL to bring consistency to the return
> style, and means that we can remove the NULL-to-error-pointer
> conversion from both lynx_pcs_create_fwnode() and
> lynx_pcs_create_mdiodev().
> 
>  drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/dpaa2/dpaa2-mac.c | 21 ++++++-------
>  drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/fman/fman_memac.c | 18 +++--------
>  drivers/net/pcs/pcs-lynx.c                       | 40 ++++++++++++++----------
>  include/linux/pcs-lynx.h                         |  4 +--
>  4 files changed, 39 insertions(+), 44 deletions(-)
> 
> -- 
> RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
> FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!
> 

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!