Subject: [PATCH net-next 0/15] Add and use helper for PCS negotiation modes

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 13:05:52 +0100

Hi,

Earlier this month, I proposed a helper for deciding whether a PCS
should use inband negotiation modes or not. There was some discussion
around this topic, and I believe there was no disagreement about
providing the helper.

The initial discussion can be found at:

https://lore.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]

Subsequently, I posted a RFC series back in May:

https://lore.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]

that added a helper, phylink_pcs_neg_mode() which PCS drivers could use
to parse the state, and updated a bunch of drivers to use it. I got
a couple of bits of feedback to it, including some ACKs.

However, I've decided to take this slightly further and change the
"mode" parameter to both the pcs_config() and pcs_link_up() methods
when a PCS driver opts in to this (by setting "neg_mode" in the
phylink_pcs structure.) If this is not set, we default to the old
behaviour. That said, this series converts all the PCS implementations
I can find currently in net-next.

Doing this has the added benefit that the negotiation mode parameter
is also available to the pcs_link_up() function, which can now know
whether inband negotiation was in fact enabled or not at pcs_config()
time.

It has been posted as RFC at:

https://lore.kernel.org/r/ZIh/[email-masked]

and received one reply, thanks Elad, which is a similar amount of
interest to previous postings. Let's post it as non-RFC and see
whether we get more reaction.

 drivers/net/dsa/qca/qca8k-8xxx.c                   |  13 ++-
 drivers/net/dsa/sja1105/sja1105_main.c             |  14 ++-
 drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/fman/fman_dtsec.c   |   7 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/marvell/mvneta.c              |   7 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/marvell/mvpp2/mvpp2_main.c    |  14 +--
 .../net/ethernet/marvell/prestera/prestera_main.c  |  11 +--
 .../net/ethernet/microchip/lan966x/lan966x_main.c  |   1 +
 .../ethernet/microchip/lan966x/lan966x_phylink.c   |   7 +-
 .../net/ethernet/microchip/sparx5/sparx5_main.c    |   1 +
 .../net/ethernet/microchip/sparx5/sparx5_phylink.c |   8 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/xilinx/xilinx_axienet_main.c  |   6 +-
 drivers/net/pcs/pcs-lynx.c                         |  48 +++++----
 drivers/net/pcs/pcs-mtk-lynxi.c                    |  39 +++-----
 drivers/net/pcs/pcs-xpcs.c                         |  43 ++++----
 drivers/net/phy/phylink.c                          |  59 +++++++----
 include/linux/pcs/pcs-xpcs.h                       |   4 +-
 include/linux/phylink.h                            | 109 +++++++++++++++++++--
 17 files changed, 253 insertions(+), 138 deletions(-)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!