Subject: Re: Memory providers multiplexing (Was: [PATCH net-next v4 4/5] page_pool: remove PP_FLAG_PAGE_FRAG flag)

From: Jason Gunthorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 13:42:47 -0300

On Tue, Jul 11, 2023 at 09:00:47AM -0700, Jakub Kicinski wrote:

> > So is Infiniband, Jakub has a unique definition of "proprietary".
> 
> For IB AFAIU there's only one practically usable vendor, such an
> impressive ecosystem!!

IB has roce (RDMA Over Converged Ethernet, better thought of as IB
over Ethernet) under it's standization umbrella and every major
commodity NIC vendor (mellanox, broadcom, intel) now implements
roce. We also have the roce support in the switch from all major
switch vendors.

IB as a link layer "failed" with most implementors leaving the
ecosystem broadly because Ethernet link layer always wins in
networking - this is more of an economic outcome than a
standardization outcome in my mind.

Due to roce, IB as a transport and software protocol has a solid
multi-vendor ecosystem.

Jason