Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 6/7] net: txgbe: support copper NIC with external PHY

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 11:43:20 +0100

On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 06:23:40PM +0800, Jiawen Wu wrote:
> @@ -22,6 +25,9 @@ static int txgbe_get_link_ksettings(struct net_device *netdev,
>  {
>  	struct txgbe *txgbe = netdev_to_txgbe(netdev);
>  
> +	if (txgbe->wx->media_type == sp_media_copper)
> +		return phy_ethtool_get_link_ksettings(netdev, cmd);

Why? If a PHY is attached via phylink, then phylink will automatically
forward the call below to phylib.
> +
>  	return phylink_ethtool_ksettings_get(txgbe->phylink, cmd);

If you implement it correctly, you also don't need two entirely
separate paths to configure the MAC/PCS for the results of the PHY's
negotiation, because phylink gives you a _generic_ set of interfaces
between whatever is downstream from the MAC and the MAC.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!