Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 00/10] net: phy/stmmac: Add Loongson platform support

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 09:39:07 +0100

On Fri, Jul 14, 2023 at 10:16:07AM +0800, Feiyang Chen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 12:09 PM Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 10:46:52AM +0800, Feiyang Chen wrote:
> > > Add driver for Loongson PHY. Extend stmmac functions and macros for
> > > Loongson DWMAC. Add LS7A support for dwmac_loongson.
> >
> > Why is this RFC? What do you actually want comment on?
> >
> 
> Hi, Andrew,
> 
> I marked this patch series as an RFC because I believe it involves
> significant changes to the dwmac1000 driver. I want comments on the
> design and any alternative suggestions.

That is admirable, but in practice, I've found that posting RFCs is
a waste of effort and time - basically, it seems people ignore
patches posted as RFC.

This turns the whole thing when posting patches into basically what
I'd summarise as "reviewer blackmail" - post the patches non-RFC
even when you want only comments, and reviewers _have_ to comment on
the patches if there's something they don't like to prevent them
being merged.

It's sad that it comes to that, but that is the reality of how things
appear to work.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!