Subject: [PATCH net-next 0/4] Remove legacy phylink behaviour

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 12:33:52 +0100

Hi,

This series removes the - as far as I can tell - unreachable code in
mtk_eth_soc that relies upon legacy phylink behaviour, and then removes
the support in phylink for this legacy behaviour.

Patch 1 removes the clocking configuration from mtk_eth_soc for non-
TRGMII, non-serdes based interface modes, and disables those interface
modes prior to phylink configuration.

Patch 2 removes the mac_pcs_get_state() method from mtk_eth_soc which
I believe is also not used - mtk_eth_soc appears not to be used with
SFPs (which would use a kind of in-band mode) nor does any DT appear
to specify in-band mode for any non-serdes based interface mode.

With both of those dealt with, the kernel is now free of any driver
relying on the phylink legacy mode. Therefore, patch 3 removes support
for this.

Finally, with the advent of a new driver being submitted today that
makes use of state->speed in the mac_config() path, patch 4 ensures that
any phylink_link_state member that should not be used in mac_config is
either cleared or set to an invalid value.

 drivers/net/ethernet/mediatek/mtk_eth_soc.c | 94 +++++------------------------
 drivers/net/ethernet/mediatek/mtk_eth_soc.h |  1 +
 drivers/net/phy/phylink.c                   | 48 ++++++---------
 include/linux/phylink.h                     | 45 ++------------
 4 files changed, 42 insertions(+), 146 deletions(-)
-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!