Subject: Re: [PATCH] net: phy: dp83867: Add support for hardware blinking LEDs

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 08:15:37 +0100

On Sat, Sep 09, 2023 at 04:27:31AM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > This works as intended so far. Unfortunately this driver and the PHY LED 
> > framework do not support active-low LEDs (yet).
> 
> Polarity is something which i've seen a few PHY devices have. It also
> seems like a core LED concept, not something specific to PHY LEDs. So
> i think this needs to be partially addressed in the LED core.

However, doesn't the LED layer deals with LED brightness, not by logic
state? It certainly looks that way, and it's left up to the drivers
themselves to deal with any polarity inversion - which makes sense if
the core is just concerned about brightness.

Introducing inversion in the core means drivers will be passed a
brightness of "100" for off and "0" for on which, do you not think,
starts to get rather silly?

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!