Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v2 0/5] TSN auto negotiation between 1G and 2.5G

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 15:12:19 +0100

On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 03:21:00PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > Hi Andrew,
> > 
> > After conducting a comprehensive study, it seems that implementing
> > out-of-band for all link modes might not be feasible. I may have missed some
> > key aspects during my analysis.
> > 
> > Would you be open to sharing a high-level idea of how we could potentially
> > make this feasible? Your insights would be greatly appreciated.
> 
> stmmac_mac_link_up() gets passed interface, speed and duplex. That
> tells you what the PHY has negotiated. Is there anything else you need
> to know?

The problem is... the stmmac driver is utter bollocks - that information
is *not* passed to the BSP. Instead, stmmac parse and store information
such as the PHY interface mode at initialisation time. BSPs also re-
parse and store e.g. the PHY interface mode at initialisation time.
The driver ignores what it gets from phylink.

The driver is basically utter crap. That's an area I _had_ patches to
clean up. I no longer do. stmmac is crap crap crap and will stay crap
until they become more receptive to patches to fix it, even if the
patches are not 100% to their liking but are in fact correct. Maybe
if I ever decide to touch that driver in the future. Which I doubt
given my recent experience.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!