Subject: [PATCH net-next 0/4] net: remove last of the phylink validate methods and clean up

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 16:42:28 +0100

Hi,

This four patch series removes the last of the phylink MAC .validate
methods which can be found in the Freescale fman driver. fman has a
requirement that half duplex may not be supported in RGMII mode,
which is currently handled in its .validate method.

In order to keep this functionality when removing the .validate method,
we need to replace that with equivalent functionality, for which I
propose the optional .mac_get_caps method in the first patch.

The advantage of this approach over the .validate callback is that MAC
drivers only have to deal with the MAC_* capabilities, and don't need
to call back into phylink functions to do the masking of the ethtool
linkmodes etc - which then becomes internal to phylink. This can be
seen in the fourth patch where we make a load of these methods static.

 Documentation/networking/sfp-phylink.rst         | 10 +++--
 drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/fman/fman_memac.c | 11 +++--
 drivers/net/phy/phylink.c                        | 45 +++++++------------
 include/linux/phylink.h                          | 56 +++++-------------------
 4 files changed, 37 insertions(+), 85 deletions(-)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!