Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v3 0/3] Rust abstractions for network PHY drivers

From: Andrea Righi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 17:09:29 +0200

On Mon, Oct 09, 2023 at 04:56:47PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 09, 2023 at 04:21:09PM +0200, Andrea Righi wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 09, 2023 at 02:53:00PM +0200, Miguel Ojeda wrote:
> > > On Mon, Oct 9, 2023 at 2:48 PM Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Any ideas?
> > > 
> > > That is `RETHUNK` and `X86_KERNEL_IBT`.
> > > 
> > > Since this will keep confusing people, I will make it a `depends on !`
> > > as discussed in the past. I hope it is OK for e.g. Andrea.
> > 
> > Disabling RETHUNK or IBT is not acceptable for a general-purpose kernel.
> > If that constraint is introduced we either need to revert that patch
> > in the Ubuntu kernel or disable Rust support.
> 
> Why is rust enabled in the Ubuntu kernel as there is no in-kernel
> support for any real functionality?  Or do you have out-of-tree rust
> drivers added to your kernel already?

Rust in the Ubuntu kernel is just a "technology preview", enabled in the
development release only. The idea is to provide all the toolchain,
dependencies, headers, etc. in the generic distro kernel, so those who
are willing to do experiments with Rust can do that without installing a
custom kernel.

And as soon as new Rust abstractions will be merged upstream we already
have the infrastructure that would allow anybody to use them with all
the components provided by the distro.

So, we really don't have any out-of-tree module/driver that requires
Rust at the moment.

-Andrea

> thanks,
> greg k-h