Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v7 5/7] ARM64: dts: marvell: Fix some common switch mistakes

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 20:03:47 +0100

On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 09:28:42PM +0300, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> U-Boot code does this, so you can't rename "ports":
> 
> 	/*
> 	 * now if there are more switches or a SFP module coming after,
> 	 * enable corresponding ports
> 	 */
> 	if (id < peridot + topaz - 1) {
> 		res = fdt_status_okay_by_pathf(blob,
> 					       "%s/switch%i@%x/ports/port@a",
> 					       mdio_path, id, addr);
> 	} else if (id == peridot - 1 && !topaz && sfp) {
> 		res = fdt_status_okay_by_pathf(blob,
> 					       "%s/switch%i@%x/ports/port-sfp@a",
> 					       mdio_path, id, addr);
> 	} else {
> 		res = 0;
> 	}

So that's now two platforms that do this. I think at this stage, we
have to regard these node paths as an ABI that we just can't change
without causing some breakage.

If we can't fix up all platforms, doesn't that make the YAML
conversion harder?

You've asked me to test the Clearfog GT-8k change - which is something
that won't happen for a while as I don't have the hardware to hand at
my current location, nor remotely.

What I can do is poke about in the u-boot sources I have for that
board and see# whether it's doing anything with those node paths. Off
the top of my# head, given what the board is, I think it's highly
unlikely though,# but I will check - possibly tomorrow.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!