Subject: Missing a write memory barrier in tls_init()

From: "Dae R. Jeong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 16:11:29 +0900

Hello,

It seems a write memory barrier is missing in tls_init() (or
tls_ctx_create()). In the following execution, NULL dereference may
happen in {tls_setsockopt, tls_getsockopt}.

CPU0                                         CPU1
-----                                        -----
// In tls_init()
// In tls_ctx_create()
ctx = kzalloc()
ctx->sk_proto = READ_ONCE(sk->sk_prot) - (1)

// In update_sk_prot()
WRITE_ONCE(sk->sk_prot, tls_prots)     - (2)
                                              // In sock_common_setsockopt()
                                              READ_ONCE(sk->sk_prot)->setsockopt()

                                              // In tls_{setsockopt,getsockopt}()
                                              ctx->sk_proto->setsockopt()    - (3)

In the above concurrent execution, nothing prevents store-store
reordering in CPU0, so it is possible that CPU0 completes (2) before
(1). If it happens, CPU1 may crash at (3).

To prevent such out-of-order execution, I think we need something like
this (although I don't like smp_wmb(). smp_store_release() should be
better):

diff --git a/net/tls/tls_main.c b/net/tls/tls_main.c
index 1c2c6800949d..5dccde91f9b1 100644
--- a/net/tls/tls_main.c
+++ b/net/tls/tls_main.c
@@ -819,6 +819,7 @@ struct tls_context *tls_ctx_create(struct sock *sk)
        rcu_assign_pointer(icsk->icsk_ulp_data, ctx);
        ctx->sk_proto = READ_ONCE(sk->sk_prot);
        ctx->sk = sk;
+       smp_wmb();
        return ctx;
 }

In addition, I believe the {tls_setsockopt, tls_getsockopt}
implementation is fine because of the address dependency. I think
load-load reordering is prohibited in this case so we don't need a
read barrier.

Could you check this?

Best regards,
Dae R. Jeong