Subject: Re: [patch net-next] docs: netlink: add NLMSG_DONE message format for doit actions

From: Jiri Pirko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 14:30:36 +0100

Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 04:16:56PM CET, [email-masked] wrote:
>On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:46:15 +0100 Jiri Pirko wrote:
>> >> In case NLMSG_DONE message is sent as a reply to doit action, multiple
>> >> kernel implementation do not send anything else than struct nlmsghdr.
>> >> Add this note to the Netlink intro documentation.  
>> >
>> >You mean when the reply has F_MULTI set, correct?  
>> 
>> Well, that would be ideal. However, that flag is parallel to NLMSG_DONE.
>> I see that at least drivers/connector/connector.c does not set this flag
>> when sending NLMSG_DONE type.
>
>connector is a really bad example, the doc would have to say "some
>families use NLMSG_DONE as an actual message type which may have pretty
>much anything attached to it". It's not worth it, sorry.

The existing documentation confuses uapi users (I have sample).
They expect error with NLMSG_DONE.

>-- 
>pw-bot: reject