Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 01/15] net: phy: fail early with error code if indirect MMD access fails

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 11:09:24 +0000

On Wed, Dec 20, 2023 at 04:55:04PM +0100, Marek Behún wrote:
> Check return values of __mdiobus_write() in mmd_phy_indirect() and
> return value of mmd_phy_indirect() itself.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Marek Behún <[email-masked]>

I think the reason it was done this way is based on the reasoning that
if the bus has failed then the last read/write will also fail. However,
if we had a spurious failure (and they _do_ happen) then one of the
previous writes e.g. to the indirect address register could have failed
and we could end up corrupting a different register.

Therefore, this makes sense (and some of my commentry should probably
be in the patch description to explain why the change is being made.)

Reviewed-by: Russell King (Oracle) <[email-masked]>

Thanks!

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!