Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] net: phy: Cleanup struct mdio_driver_common

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 17:34:38 +0000

On Thu, Dec 28, 2023 at 03:23:50PM +0800, Yajun Deng wrote:
> The struct mdio_driver_common is a wrapper for driver-model structure,
> it contains device_driver and flags. There are only struct phy_driver
> and mdio_driver that use it. The flags is used to distinguish between
> struct phy_driver and mdio_driver.
> 
> We can test that if probe of device_driver is equal to phy_probe. This
> way, the struct mdio_driver_common is no longer needed, and struct
> phy_driver and usb_mdio_driver will be consistent with other driver
> structs.

usb_mdio_driver?

I'm not sure why this consistency is even desired, the commit message
doesn't properly say _why_ this change is being proposed.

> +bool is_phy_driver(struct device_driver *driver)
> +{
> +	return driver->probe == phy_probe;
> +}
> +EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(is_phy_driver);

Do we really need this exported? It doesn't seem like something anything
other than core MDIO/phylib code should know about, and all that becomes
a single module when building it in a modular way - phylib can't be a
separate module from mdio stuff.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!