Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v2 0/2] net: phy: Use is_phy_driver() and is_phy_device()

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 14:00:32 +0000

On Wed, Jan 03, 2024 at 10:53:32AM +0800, Yajun Deng wrote:
> There is only one flag that can be set in struct mdio_driver_common and
> mdio_device. We can compare the probe of the driver or the type of the
> device to implement it. Hence, these flags in struct mdio_driver_common
> and mdio_device can be removed.
> 
> Introduce is_phy_driver() and is_phy_device(). Use them test the driver
> or device.

It is not a good idea to post a new series while discussion of the first
is still on-going, even if it has been 24 hours since you last posted a
patch. If discussion is still going on, then we don't need the
distraction of yet another series to duplicate the comments to.

I remain completely unconvinced of the merit of these changes. IMHO,
it is pure churn for churn's sake - there is no _real_ benefit. It
doesn't fix a bug. It doesn't make the code easier to read. It only
satisfies some ideological idea that all drivers should look the same.

Unless a very good justification can be found, I am not in favour of
changing these drivers.

There _may_ be good merit in is_phy_driver() and is_phy_device(), and
as Andrew says, that should be done _first_.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!