Subject: Re: Race in PHY subsystem? Attaching to PHY devices before they get probed

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 19:00:27 +0000

On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 06:52:35PM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> This is assuming we cannot actually fix phylib to correctly use the
> driver model, PHYs are not visible until probe is complete, and the
> MAC drivers can handle that.

The only thing I can think is some kind of kbuild extension that looks
through all the PHY drivers that are enabled in some way, generates a
table of PHY driver match IDs, and use that as an "exclude" list for
the generic PHY drivers.

This would preclude the use of out of tree PHY drivers. Whether we
think that's a good or bad thing depends on ones own point of view.

However, the default fall-back to the generic PHY driver can't work
through the driver model because of the reasons we already know.
(If someone wants them expanded, then please ask, but Andrew and
myself are aware, so as I'm replying to Andrew here...)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!