Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v4 01/11] net: phylink: publish ethtool link modes that supported and advertised

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:27:35 +0000

On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 09:02:43PM +0800, Choong Yong Liang wrote:
> Adding the allow_switch_interface flag to publish all the ethtool
> link modes that can be supported and advertised.
> 
> This will allow the interface switching based on different ethtool
> link modes.

I don't think you need this at all. You seem to be suggesting that you
have a PHY which switches between different interface modes on its host
interface. We already support several PHYs with this capability.

Generic support for this was added, and you need the PHY driver to
fill in phydev->possible_interfaces so phylink knows which interface
modes the PHY can switch between.

Instead, you are modifying the legacy path, which eventually I want
to get rid of.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!