Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v2 1/7] net: phy: add PHY_F_RXC_ALWAYS_ON to PHY dev flags

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:57:05 +0000

On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 10:28:36AM +0100, Romain Gantois wrote:
> From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
> 
> Some MAC controllers (e.g. stmmac) require their connected PHY to
> continuously provide a receive clock signal. This can cause issues in two
> cases:
> 
>   1. The clock signal hasn't been started yet by the time the MAC driver
>      initializes its hardware. This can make the initialization fail, as in
>       the case of the rzn1 GMAC1 driver.
>   2. The clock signal is cut during a power saving event. By the time the
>      MAC is brought back up, the clock signal is still not active since
>      phylink_start hasn't been called yet. This brings us back to case 1.
> 
> If a PHY driver reads this flag, it should ensure that the receive clock
> signal is started as soon as possible, and that it isn't brought down when
> the PHY goes into suspend.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Russell King <[email-masked]>
> [rgantois: commit log]
> Signed-off-by: Romain Gantois <[email-masked]>

You seem to have combined two of my patches into this one, which touch
two different bits of code. I'm fine with that, but please adjust the
subject line to match the _majority_ of the code that is being touched,
which is phylink (having the prefix net: phylink:), rather than phylib
(having the prefix net: phy:).

Thanks.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!