Subject: Re: [PATCH] ice: Add get/set hw address for VF representor ports

From: Michal Swiatkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 11:43:44 +0100

On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 01:38:47PM +0530, karthiksundaravel wrote:
> Changing the mac address of the VF representor ports are not
> available via devlink. Add the function handlers to set and get
> the HW address for the VF representor ports.
> 
> Signed-off-by: karthiksundaravel <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_devlink.c | 134 ++++++++++++++++++-
>  1 file changed, 132 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
> 
> diff --git a/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_devlink.c b/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_devlink.c
> index 80dc5445b50d..56d81836c469 100644
> --- a/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_devlink.c
> +++ b/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_devlink.c
> @@ -9,6 +9,8 @@

As Jiri already wrote, you are not changing MAC of VF in your code. Try
to look at ice_set_vf_mac in ice_sriov.c. In current implementation you
nedd to set new MAC value for VF and reset it. You shouldn't use PF VSI.

Pointer to VF you can get from representor struct (through parent VSI).

You shouldn't manage the rules during MAC changing, as in switchdev
slow-path there shouldn't be VF MAC rules. It can be problematic as user
already can have MAC + sth rule (which also needs to be change). I will
leave it to user (most probably the MAC change happens before adding any
rules).

In few days we will send patchset for subfunction support where the
subfunction MAC chaning is implementing from devlink API. I will add you
to the CC.

Thanks for working on it, it is a gap in our solution.

Thanks,
Michal