Subject: Re: [PATCH 8/8] dm-verity: Convert from tasklet to BH workqueue

From: Tejun Heo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 10:05:42 -1000

Hello, Mike.

On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 02:44:29PM -0500, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> I'm not sure where things stand with the 6.9 workqueue changes to add
> BH workqueue.  I had a look at your various branches and I'm not
> seeing where you might have staged any conversion patches (like this
> dm-verity one).

Yeah, the branch is for-6.9-bh-conversions in the wq tree but I haven't
queued the DM patches yet. Wanted to make sure the perf signal from TCP
conversion is okay first. FWIW, while Eric still has concerns, the initial
test didn't show any appreciable regression with production memcache
workload on our side.

> I just staged various unrelated dm-verity and dm-crypt 6.8 fixes from
> Mikulas that I'll be sending to Linus later this week (for v6.8-rc6).
> Those changes required rebasing 'dm-6.9' because of conflicts, here is
> the dm-6.9 branch:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/device-mapper/linux-dm.git/log/?h=dm-6.9
> 
> So we'll definitely need to rebase your changes on dm-6.9 to convert
> dm-crypt and dm-verity over to your BH workqueue.  Are you OK with
> doing that or would you prefer I merge some 6.9 workqueue branch that
> you have into dm-6.9? And then Mikulas and I work to make the required
> DM target conversion changes?

Oh, if you don't mind, it'd be best if you could pull wq/for-6.9 into dm-6.9
and do the conversions there.

Thank you.

-- 
tejun