Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 1/2] doc: sfp-phylink: drop the mention to phylink_config->pcs_poll

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 11:41:07 +0000

On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 05:04:03PM +0100, Maxime Chevallier wrote:
> commit 64b4a0f8b51b ("net: phylink: remove phylink_config's pcs_poll")
> dropped the phylink_config->pcs_poll field, which is no longer required
> to be set by MAC drivers. Remove that mention in the phylink porting
> guide.

The porting guide needs to be updated with the PCS, and the details for
that moved over rather than being deleted. While it's true that this
member is gone from phylink_config, it was only removed after the
introduction of the similarly named member in phylink_pcs.

In other words, point 10 should probably read:

10. Arrange for PCS link state interrupts to be forwarded into
    phylink, via:

    .. code-block:: c

        phylink_pcs_change(pcs, link_is_up);

    where ``link_is_up`` is true if the link is currently up or false
    otherwise. If a PCS is unable to provide these interrupts, then
    it should set ``pcs->pcs_poll = true;`` when creating the PCS.

However, for that to make sense, we then need the guide to provide
details about creating the PCS, and also the mac_select_pcs() method.
Thus my comment about a much bigger update being required.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!