Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v5 1/7] net: phylink: add PHY_F_RXC_ALWAYS_ON to PHY dev flags

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 14:31:51 +0000

On Fri, Mar 01, 2024 at 04:34:58PM +0100, Romain Gantois wrote:
> From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
> 
> Some MAC controllers (e.g. stmmac) require their connected PHY to
> continuously provide a receive clock signal. This can cause issues in two
> cases:
> 
>   1. The clock signal hasn't been started yet by the time the MAC driver
>      initializes its hardware. This can make the initialization fail, as in
>       the case of the rzn1 GMAC1 driver.
>   2. The clock signal is cut during a power saving event. By the time the
>      MAC is brought back up, the clock signal is still not active since
>      phylink_start hasn't been called yet. This brings us back to case 1.
> 
> If a PHY driver reads this flag, it should ensure that the receive clock
> signal is started as soon as possible, and that it isn't brought down when
> the PHY goes into suspend.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Russell King <[email-masked]>

This is not the sign-off I sent you with my patches. At the very least,
it doesn't acknowledge my employer, and also has the wrong email address
that I use for _all_ my kernel attributations. Therefore, I can
definitively say that that you made this up. Please correct it back to
the sign-off in my patches that you derived this combined work from.

Given that sign-offs have legal purpose, what's more concerning is that
care has not been taken on your side to ensure that your handling of it
is correct, and has taken several postings before this cockup has been
noticed. This is not good.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!