Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 2/2] net: stmmac: dwmac-socfpga: use pcs_init/pcs_exit

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 09:34:16 +0100

On Tue, Apr 02, 2024 at 04:51:48PM +0100, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> Use the newly introduced pcs_init() and pcs_exit() operations to
> create and destroy the PCS instance at a more appropriate moment during
> the driver lifecycle, thereby avoiding publishing a network device to
> userspace that has not yet finished its PCS initialisation.
> 
> There are other similar issues with this driver which remain
> unaddressed, but these are out of scope for this patch.

Just for the record...

Digging into the history of this driver, the init-after-publish issue
was introduced by commit 3c201b5a84ed ("net: stmmac: socfpga: Remove
re-registration of reset controller") which gives information on why
calling the PHY configuration before stmmac_dvr_probe() didn't work.

This was further modified by 56868deece92 ("stmmac: dwmac-socfpga: add
PM ops and resume function").

I haven't decided what can be done about that yet - and I'm tempted to
leave it as-is for the time being until more of stmmac gets cleaned up.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!