Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] net: dsa: bcm_sf2: provide own phylink MAC operations

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 19:16:08 +0100

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 10:44:38AM -0700, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> On 4/16/24 03:19, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> > Convert bcm_sf2 to provide its own phylink MAC operations, thus
> > avoiding the shim layer in DSA's port.c
> > 
> > Signed-off-by: Russell King (Oracle) <[email-masked]>
> 
> Acked-by: Florian Fainelli <[email-masked]>
> Tested-by: Florian Fainelli <[email-masked]>

Great, thanks for testing.

(Unrelated to this patch... so please don't delay applying based on
ongoing discussion!)

The other Broadcom driver, b53, isn't going to be as simple - I believe
it uses a mixture of the .adjust_link method for shared ports, and
.phylink_mac_* for user ports. That makes it very awkward now, given
the check that was added (and suggested by Vladimir) to check for the
legacy methods if dsa_switch's .phylink_mac_ops is populated.

Is there any scope for converting b53 to use only phylink methods for
everything, thus eliminating the .adjust_link callback?

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!