Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v4 11/12] microchip: lan865x: add driver support for Microchip's LAN865X MAC-PHY

From: Ramón Nordin Rodriguez <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 00:00:40 +0200

On Sun, Apr 28, 2024 at 04:25:28PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > I agree with your assesment, the phy won't reset itself, but maybe we
> > could add some comment doc about not adding it for the lan8670,
> > so no one trips over that in the future.
> 
> In the PHY driver, you can provide your own .soft_reset handler. It
> could return -EOPNOTSUPP, or -EINVAL. Maybe check the data sheets for
> the standalone devices supported by the driver. Can you limit this to
> just the TC6 PHY?
> 

Gotcha, I think that should be pretty easy to handle then. The
microchip_t1s.c module handles two phy families 
* lan865x - baked in
* lan867x - standalone 

I need to do some thinking and get a bit more oriented. But pretty sure
there is a simple path for this.

R