Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v2 10/10] net: stmmac: Add DW XPCS specified via "pcs-handle" support

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2024 10:29:40 +0100

On Tue, Jun 04, 2024 at 12:04:57PM +0300, Serge Semin wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 03, 2024 at 10:03:54AM +0100, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> > I can't think of a reasonable solution to this at the moment. One
> > solution could be pushing this down into the platform code to deal
> > with as an interim solution, via the new .pcs_init() method.
> > 
> > We could also do that with the current XPCS code, since we know that
> > only Intel mGBE uses xpcs. This would probably allow us to get rid
> > of the has_xpcs flag.
> 
> Basically you suggest to move the entire stmmac_pcs_setup() to the
> platforms, don't you? The patch 9 of this series indeed could have
> been converted to just moving the entire PCS-detection loop from
> stmmac_pcs_setup() to the Intel-specific pcs_init.

Yes, it's not like XPCS is used by more than one platform, it's only
Intel mGBE. So I don't see why it should have a privileged position
over any other PCS implementation that stmmac supports (there's now
three different PCS.)

If you don't want the code in the Intel driver, then what could be
done is provide a core implementation that gets hooked into the
.pcs_init() method.

The same is probably true of other PCSes if they end up being shared
across several different platforms.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!