Subject: [PATCH net-next 0/6] net: phylink: rearrange ovr_an_inband support

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2024 14:28:42 +0100

Hi,

This series addresses the use of the ovr_an_inband flag, which is used
by two drivers to indicate to phylink that they wish to use inband mode
without firmware specifying inband mode.

The issue with ovr_an_inband is that it overrides not only PHY mode,
but also fixed-link mode. Both of the drivers that set this flag
contain code to detect when fixed-link mode will be used, and then
either avoid setting it or explicitly clear the flag. This is
wasteful when phylink already knows this.

Therefore, the approach taken in this patch set is to replace the
ovr_an_inband flag with a default_an_inband flag which means that
phylink defaults to MLO_AN_INBAND instead of MLO_AN_PHY, and will
allow that default to be overriden if firmware specifies a fixed-link.
This allows users of ovr_an_inband to be simplified.

What's more is this requires minimal changes in phylink to allow this
new mode of operation.

This series changes phylink, and also updates the two drivers
(fman_memac and stmmac), and then removes the unnecessary complexity
from the drivers.

This series may depend on the stmmac cleanup series I've posted
earlier - this is something I have not checked, but I currently have
these patches on top of that series.

 drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/fman/fman_memac.c  | 16 ++++++----------
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-intel.c | 15 ++-------------
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_main.c |  4 ++--
 drivers/net/phy/phylink.c                         | 11 ++++++++---
 include/linux/phylink.h                           |  5 +++--
 include/linux/stmmac.h                            |  2 +-
 6 files changed, 22 insertions(+), 31 deletions(-)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!