Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC net-next v2 3/8] net: stmmac: dwmac1000: convert sgmii/rgmii "pcs" to phylink

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 10:24:19 +0100

On Wed, Jun 05, 2024 at 04:59:14PM -0500, Andrew Halaney wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 05, 2024 at 03:05:43PM GMT, Andrew Halaney wrote:
> > This seems to me that you're doing the TODO here? Maybe I'm
> > misunderstanding... maybe not :)
> > 
> > > +		phylink_pcs_change(&hw->mac_pcs, false);
> 
> Continuing to read through this all, sorry for the double reply and
> possibly dumb question. Should we be passing in false unconditionally
> here?

It depends whether there is a way to get the current status of the link
without side effects (e.g. where a read clears a latched-low link
status.) If that's not possible, then passing "false" is safe provided
there aren't any spurious interrupts, since we'll always assume that
the link has dropped. If there are spurious interrupts, then the link
will go down/up each time there's a spurious interrupt. Even so, that's
better than missing a change in the link status which may result in
loss of link without manual intervention.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!