Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] net: skbuff: Skip early return in skb_unref when debugging

From: Breno Leitao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 04:24:39 -0700

Hello Paolo,

On Tue, Jul 30, 2024 at 11:38:38AM +0200, Paolo Abeni wrote:
> Could you please benchmark such scenario before and after this patch?

I've tested it on a 18-core Xeon D-2191A host, and I haven't found any
different in either TX/RX in TCP or UDP. At the same time, I must admit
that I have very low confidence in my tests.

I run the following tests for 10x on the same machine, just changing my
patch, and I getting the simple average of these 10 iterations. This is
what I am doing for TCP and UDP:

TCP:
	# iperf -s &
	# iperf -u -c localhost

	Output: 16.5 Gbits/sec

UDP:
	# iperf -s -u &
	# iperf -u -c localhost

	Output: 1.05 Mbits/sec

I don't know how to explain why UDP numbers are so low. I am happy to
run different tests, if you have any other recommendation.

--breno