Subject: Re: [PATCH nf-next v3 1/2] netfilter: Make IP_NF_IPTABLES_LEGACY selectable

From: Breno Leitao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2024 08:05:09 -0700

Hello Jakub,

On Wed, Aug 28, 2024 at 07:42:40AM -0700, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2024 07:52:40 -0700 Breno Leitao wrote:
> > +++ b/tools/testing/selftests/net/config
> 
> You gotta check all the configs, net is now fine, but bpf still breaks.
> There may be more configs we don't use in CI.

Sure, how can I find which configs I should care about?

> BTW I'm not saying anything about the change itself. There's a non-zero
> chance that netfilter maintainers made the option hidden on purpose..

Right, but it seems there was a plan to have it enabled in the future,
as least that is what I read in a9525c7f6219c ("netfilter: xtables:
allow xtables-nft only builds")

	In the future the _LEGACY symbol will become visible and the select
	statements will be turned into 'depends on', but for now be on safe side
	so "make oldconfig" won't break things.

Also, this was discussed in the thread below, and it seems it is fine to
make the symbols visible:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

Thanks for the review,
--breno