Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/5] net: phy: dp83tg720: Changed Macro names

From: Oleksij Rempel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2024 08:56:23 +0200

On Thu, Sep 19, 2024 at 02:01:15PM -0700, Alvaro (Al-vuh-roe) Reyes wrote:
> Previous macro referes to DP83TG720S, where this driver works for both
> DP83TG720R & DP83TG720S. Macro changed to DP83TG720 to be more generic.
> 
> Data sheets:
> https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/dp83tg720s-q1.pdf
> https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/dp83tg720r-q1.pdf

One one side, this change is not consequent enough - this patch set will
add support for dp83tg721 variants too, but rename reflect support only
for dp83tg720 variants. At same time, TI has company internal names
for this IP cores, which are not used for end product names. Every time, some
one add new chip variant, we will need to rename defines.

On other side, already this refactoring is too much, because it will
make maintenance of stable kernel a nightmare.
-- 
Pengutronix e.K.                           |                             |
Steuerwalder Str. 21                       | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |
31137 Hildesheim, Germany                  | Phone: +49-5121-206917-0    |
Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686           | Fax:   +49-5121-206917-5555 |