Subject: [PATCH RFC 00/10] net: pcs: xpcs: cleanups batch 1

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2024 15:00:26 +0100

Hi,

First, sorry for the bland series subject - this is the first in a
number of cleanup series to the XPCS driver. This series has some
functional changes beyond merely cleanups, notably the first patch.

This series starts off with a patch that moves the PCS reset from
the xpcs_create*() family of calls to when phylink first configures
the PHY. The motivation for this change is to get rid of the
interface argument to the xpcs_create*() functions, which I see as
unnecessary complexity. This patch needs testing on SJA1105, Wangxun
and STMMAC drivers.

Patch 2 removes the now unnecessary interface argument from the
internal xpcs_create() and xpcs_init_iface() functions. With this,
xpcs_init_iface() becomes a misnamed function, but patch 3 removes
this function, moving its now meager contents to xpcs_create().

Patch 4 adds xpcs_destroy_pcs() and xpcs_create_pcs_mdiodev()
functions which return and take a phylink_pcs, allowing SJA1105
and Wangxun drivers to be converted to using the phylink_pcs
structure internally.

Patches 5 through 8 convert both these drivers to that end.

Patch 9 drops the interface argument from the remaining xpcs_create*()
functions, addressing the only remaining caller of these functions,
that being the STMMAC driver.

As patch 7 removed the direct calls to the XPCS config/link-up
functions, the last patch makes these functions static.

 drivers/net/dsa/sja1105/sja1105.h                 |  2 +-
 drivers/net/dsa/sja1105/sja1105_main.c            | 83 ++++++++++----------
 drivers/net/dsa/sja1105/sja1105_mdio.c            | 28 ++++---
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_mdio.c |  7 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/wangxun/txgbe/txgbe_phy.c    | 18 ++---
 drivers/net/ethernet/wangxun/txgbe/txgbe_type.h   |  2 +-
 drivers/net/pcs/pcs-xpcs.c                        | 92 ++++++++++++++---------
 include/linux/pcs/pcs-xpcs.h                      | 14 ++--
 8 files changed, 130 insertions(+), 116 deletions(-)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!