Subject: [PATCH net-next v2 0/5] Removing more phylink cruft

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2024 10:57:29 +0100

Hi,

Continuing on with the cleanups, this patch series removes
dsa_port_phylink_mac_select_pcs() which is no longer required. This
will have no functional effect as phylink does this:

        bool using_mac_select_pcs = false;

        if (mac_ops->mac_select_pcs &&
            mac_ops->mac_select_pcs(config, PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_NA) !=
              ERR_PTR(-EOPNOTSUPP))
                using_mac_select_pcs = true;

and no mac_select_pcs() method is equivalent to a mac_select_pcs()
that returns -EOPNOTSUPP.

We then make mv88e6xxx_mac_select_pcs() return NULL, as we don't want
to invoke this old behaviour anymore - mv88e6xxx doesn't require it.

Then, allow phylink to remove PCS, which has been a long standing
behavioural oddity.

Remove the use of pl->pcs when validating as this will never be
non-NULL unless "using_mac_select_pcs" was set.

This then clears the way to removing using_mac_select_pcs from phylink
and the check.

 drivers/net/dsa/mv88e6xxx/chip.c |  2 +-
 drivers/net/phy/phylink.c        | 18 +++-----------
 net/dsa/port.c                   |  8 --------
 3 files changed, 5 insertions(+), 23 deletions(-)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!