Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v2 7/9] net: phy: introduce ethtool_phy_ops to get and set phy configuration

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2024 16:27:43 +0100

On Tue, Oct 08, 2024 at 04:57:42PM +0200, Maxime Chevallier wrote:
> Oh but I plan to add support for the marvell switch, mcbin, and turris
> first,

What do you think needs adding for the mcbin?

For the single-shot version, the serdes lines are hard-wired to the
SFP cages, so it's a MAC with a SFP cage directly connected.

For the double-shot, the switching happens dynamically within the
88x3310 PHY, so there's no need to fiddle with any isolate modes.

The only thing that is missing is switching the 88x3310's fibre
interface from the default 10gbase-r to 1000base-X and/or SGMII, and
allowing PHYs to be stacked on top. The former I have untested
patches for but the latter is something that's waiting for
networking/phylib to gain support for stacked PHY.

Switching the interface mode is very disruptive as it needs the PHY
to be software-reset, and if the RJ45 has link but one is simply
plugging in a SFP, hitting the PHY with a software reset will
disrupt that link.

Given that the mcbin has one SFP cage that is capable of 2500base-X,
1000base-X and SGMII, and two SFP cages that can do 10gbase-r, with
a PHY that can do 10/100/1G/2.5G/5G/10G over the RJ45, I'm not sure
adding more complexity really gains us very much other than...
additional complexity.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!