Subject: [PATCH net-next 0/7] net: pcs: xpcs: yet more cleanups

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2024 12:52:17 +0100

Hi,

I've found yet more potential for cleanups in the XPCS driver.

The first patch switches to using generic register definitions.

Next, there's an overly complex bit of code in xpcs_link_up_1000basex()
which can be simplified down to a simple if() statement.

Then, rearrange xpcs_link_up_1000basex() to separate out the warnings
from the functional bit.

Next, realising that the functional bit is just the helper function we
already have and are using in the SGMII version of this function,
switch over to that.

We can now see that xpcs_link_up_1000basex() and xpcs_link_up_sgmii()
are basically functionally identical except for the warnings, so merge
the two functions.

Next, xpcs_config_usxgmii() seems misnamed, so rename it to follow the
established pattern.

Lastly, "return foo();" where foo is a void function and the function
being returned from is also void is a weird programming pattern.
Replace this with something more conventional.

With these changes, we see yet another reduction in the amount of
code in this driver.

 drivers/net/pcs/pcs-xpcs.c | 134 ++++++++++++++++++++++-----------------------
 drivers/net/pcs/pcs-xpcs.h |  12 ----
 2 files changed, 65 insertions(+), 81 deletions(-)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 80Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!